We all want to save money when we can and background checks are no different. If you search for “free North Carolina background checks" in Google you’ll get many, many...
North Carolina Public Records Do’s and Don’ts
Searching North Carolina public records with abcnc.com is easy and inexpensive – as it should be. But there are limits on how you can use the information in our system. The Fair Credit and Reporting Act is one law that regulates how you can use the information you obtain on our website. To help you understand how to use public record data, here are a few do’s and don’ts.
Our Public Records should not be used for the following:
Employment Screening – You may not use abcNC.com to evaluate a person for a job, reassignment or promotion. This also applies to hiring household workers such as nannies or domestic workers. Rather, use a service like Vantage Point Services Pre-Employment Screening
Screening Tenants – landlord should not use our service to perform background checks individuals seeking to lease residential or commercial property.
Credit or Insurance – assessing the risk of existing credit obligations of an individual or determining the eligibility for issuing credit or insurance is not permitted.
Public Records Do’s and Don’ts
- Do use abcNC.com to find a lost love – Don’t perform employee background checks.
- Do verify potential roommates, don’t screen tenants
- Do check out your new online crush, but don’t contact people against their wishes
- Do find someone’s current address, don’t spy on people.
- Do check your own record, don’t steal someone else’s identify.
- Do verify online buyers and sellers, don’t do credit checks – that would be a crime.
- Do retrieve court records; don’t pre-screen household workers. Instead use an pre-employment screening company like Vantage Point Services.
If you need to check someone’s credit worthiness you should use a consumer reporting agency such as TransUnion, Equifax, or Experian.
Still have questions about how you can use our data? That’s okay – feel free to contact us and we’ll do our best to help you out.